Partners in Care
Through a new program called Partners in Care, Jewish Family Service (JFS) is partnering with the AmeriCorps program Legacy Corps to provide free, in-home caregiver respite to support families caring for older adults and adults with disabilities. Partners in Care is a volunteer driven caregiver support program, which strives to decrease caregiver burden and stress, and increase the potential of the caregiver to sustain loved ones at home.
Volunteers help caregivers by providing their loved ones with friendly visits, companionship, participation in recreational activities and errands, as well as transportation when appropriate. Similar Legacy Corps funded programs currently operate in 16 sites across 10 states. JFS is proud to offer this supportive program to caregiving families here in Rhode Island.
- One volunteer carefully matched to your family.
- Volunteers ares trained in topics specific to your loved ones needs.
- Weekly visits develop into a reliable and comfortable relationship between your family and the volunteer.
- Family members who care for a loved one whether or not they live together.
- Families with any type of veteran or military connection.(including deceased relatives and in-laws)
- Your loved one must be able to transfer and toilet independently as our volunteers do not do any personal care or heavy lifting.
What will our Volunteers do?
- Provide consistent visits to their matched client.
- Participate in friendly visits & companionship
- Participate in recreational activities at home and in the community
- Help with errands and provide transportation to and from
- Volunteers will not assist in personal care, medications, or heaving lifting.
Interested in Volunteering?
Partners in Care is a volunteered driven program, and without the support and volunteers from our community members we cannot help the many families who are in need of these services. Our volunteers tell us time and again that they get far more than they give. Join our volunteer team and experience the joy of giving back to those who have given so much of themselves!
Connect with one or two seniors to provide companionship on a regular basis. This allows caregivers a much needed break from their caregiving responsibilities. We will work with your schedule to find a senior in your community who is a great match for you. Minimum weekly hours required.
Provide transportation and support to seniors for their doctor’s appointments. Working around your availability, we will match you with a senior who has an upcoming doctor’s appointment. No weekly minimum hours required.
As a formal Americorps volunteer, you will receive a $150 monthly living allowance by providing an average of ten hours of companionship per week to seniors. You will be matched with two or more seniors in your area. All visits are scheduled around your availability.
For more information or to refer: Contact
Jessica Murphy, Program Coordinator, at 401-331-1244 Ext. 336 or firstname.lastname@example.org